Suicide: Read This First -
if you're thinking about it.
or call 1-800-SUICIDE to talk to a counselor right now.
These signs may indicate depression:
- Low self-esteem
- Anger management problems or preoccupation with violence
- Irritating, fighting with or withdrawing from friends, teachers and/or
- Refusing to go to school
- Behaving to get negative attention
- Doing poorly or dropping out of school
- Becoming pregnant early in life
- Increased physical health problems
- Becoming a smoker
- Abusing alcohol or drugs
- Threatening suicide or homicide
So what do you do if you recognize the signs? Talk with the child/youth about
your concerns. Remove access to any lethal means and arrange for an evaluation
by a mental health professional. The sooner depression is evaluated, the easier
it is to treat.